Motor Fuel Tax News July 2022
State Motor Fuel Tax Update July 2022
Illinois: Motor Fuel Tax Rates Announced — May 10, 2022
The state of Illinois suspended the consumer price index adjustment associated to the motor fuel tax rate for the period beginning July 1, 2022, through December 31, 2022. The tax rates during the suspension period are as follows:
- Diesel: 46.7¢ per gallon;
- Gasoline: 39.2¢ per gallon;
- LPG: 46.7¢ per DGE;
- LNG: 46.7¢ per DGE;
- CNG: 39.2¢ per GGE.
Michigan: New Motor Fuel Tax Rates Announced — May 5, 2022
Effective July 1, 2022, through July 31, 2022, the prepaid sales tax rates for the receipt or purchase of diesel fuel and gasoline are as follows:
- Diesel Fuel: 28.0 cents per gallon;
- Gasoline: 23.5 cents per gallon.
Indiana: August Gasoline Use Tax Rate Announced — June 22, 2022
Effective August 1, 2022 to August 31, 2022, gasoline use tax rate in Indiana is $0.294 per gallon.
Florida: Motor Fuel Tax Relief Act Enacted — May 12, 2022
The 2022 Florida Legislation enacted a law, offering motor fuel tax exemption from October 1, 2022 to October 31, 2022. During the tax exemption period, the tax rate on motor fuels is reduced by 25.3 cents per gallon and following tax reductions are applicable:
- $0.01 county fuel tax is lowered by 1 cent per gallon;
- $0.01 municipal fuel tax is lowered by 1 cent per gallon;
- $0.083 State Comprehensive Enhanced Transportation System Tax (SCETS) is lowered by 8.3 cents per gallon; and
- $0.15 fuel sales tax is lowered by 15 cents per gallon.
New York: Notice Issued On Suspension of Taxes on Motor Fuel — May 13, 2022
New York state issued a notice on the recently enacted suspension of certain taxes on motor fuel and diesel motor fuel effective June 1, 2022 through December 31, 2022. The following taxes are suspended during the tax exemption period:
- Fuel excise tax;
- Prepaid sales tax and state sales and use taxes;
- Additional state sales and use tax imposed in the Metropolitan Commuter Transport District (MCTD).
The distributors and wholesalers must exclude the prepaid sales tax from amount charged for sale of motor fuel and diesel motor fuel.
Illinois: County Motor Fuel Tax Rates Announced — May 18, 2022
The state of Illinois announced the county motor fuel tax rates for the period starting July 1, 2022, through June 30, 2023. The rates are as follows:
- DuPage County: 8.5 cents per gallon;
- Kane County: 4.4 cents per gallon;
- Lake County: 4.2 cents per gallon;
- McHenry County: 4.4 cents per gallon;
- Will County: 4.4 cents per gallon.
Georgia: Motor Fuel Tax Suspension Period Extended — May 26, 2022
The Governor of Georgia passed an executive order to extend the suspension on the collection of excise tax on motor fuels till August 13, 2022. This suspension was initially set to expire on July 14, 2022.